On 06/11/14 19:42, Paul Tansom wrote:
** Jay Bennie <j...@lincore.com> [2014-11-06 18:23]:
Looks like a choice of either phone or internet until next week :( It is still
odd taking the box apart when I've been used to leaving well alone because if
they think it has been tampered with BT will charge!

set up a line divert to a skype or voip number :)

oh and trace the wire back - if it has been cold and wet with you - checking
the wires aren't compromised is worth while... they don't last forever and vDSL
is a bit sensitive to bad copper. I had a similar drop off at the old office
.... but if just today - it was a bad bt day.
** end quote [Jay Bennie]

I'm not majorly worried about incoming calls for a while. Anyone we are
interested in hearing from knows about the problem and most of the rest are
junk calls (in spite of BT Privacy). For outgoing I've got BT Smartalk on my
mobile as well as the mobile itself (if I stand in the right place) or one of
my VOIP lines (although they were a bit dodgy today - probably the broadband).

Wiring wise, it is a single cable from the telegraph pole into the back of the
master socket so I don't have a junction box to worry about or anywhere damp
can get in, and it was replaced a couple of years ago - or two faults back -
which was replacing a cable that was put in in 2001 when I had an ISDN line
installed (they ran a new cable for both the ISDN and standard line). It's all
positively modern for BT in this area! I'm not sure if it an issue up here, but
I understand that a lot of the cabling in Portsmouth is aluminium instead of
copper, which is causing problems with even basic broadband. I wish cable was
an option, but they don't provide the features I use unfortunately.

My boss had an issue with his (company supplied) broadband some years ago, every time the weather turned damp or wet broadband would fall over. After 6 month where the ISP kept throwing it back to BT as a line fault and a conscientious BT engineer the fault was found 4 telegraph poles down the road, the lid of a junction box on the box was damaged and all the wiring was damp and corroded. Apparently the BT guy spent a day up the pole replacing the box and renewing the wiring. So the junction box does not necessarily need to be on you house or on the telegraph you are directly connected to.

Tim