On Wed, 2014-12-10 at 23:07 +0000, Leo wrote:

> Thanks for that. Although part of me is a little unsure about going for
> a non-arm or x86 based setup. So now I'm wondering if buying a cheap
> router and flashing it with openwrt is the way to go...

I'm sceptical that you'll find many firewalls that are not either x86 or
ARM. They're both pretty much ubiquitous now. Skimming through the
OpenWRT hardware list, it looks like there are a few MIPS and PowerPC
based units out there.

The ARM architectures are, of course, licensed intellectual property, so
many chips that don't have the word ARM in the name are still an ARM
inside.

Whatever platform, there's a distinct advantage in having the software
on a physically write-protected memory medium. My guess is that most of
the hardware listed on OpenWRT is just that.

My personal thought for looking to a micro-PC type device were that I
then have full control of the software and don't again get bitten by
buying a new, fairly expensive, router that, despite what it says on the
box and website, appears not properly to support IPv6. Sole reason for
purchase :-(

Gordon.