However in both old-PC cases the cost of and waste of the electricity to
run them 24/7 may make them not the lower cost option.

Of course scrapping them is also wasteful, so it's a judgement call.

Frustratingly my router before last can now be reflashed with OpenWRT,
but my present router and it's immediate predecessor can't yet.
Of course I scrapped the router before last. :-(

I have to say as someone who tries to reuse stuff where sensible that
not so long ago I took a good quality Pentium tower, fully working
though with a non-Y2K BIOS to the tip for recycling and they said it was
"too old to be any use" Apparently if it can't sensibly run Win7,
they're not really interested!