> On 19 Feb 2015, at 12:05, Vic <l...@beer.org.uk> wrote:
>

>> 10 years from now
>> we will simply ask a machine to write software for us
>
> I first heard that argument some 40 years ago. It wasn't true then, and it
> isn't true now. The reason for this is simple - code generation is a
> purely mechanical process, but defining the solution to the problem space
> requires semantic understanding, and that is the stuff of sci-fi.

Until google tried to read all the books and classify all the information on
the planet, everyone said it was a pipe dream. (while this will never be 100%
its astonishing what has been achieved)

I agree with all you say here, its is mechanical and it is about semantic
understanding, in the past however it was inconceivable that a computer could
be used to read a book thus the method of inputing the preexisting knowledge
needed to be specifically coded.

Now software to apply learning and matching techniques on a scale never thought
possible is already available… and you may have picked up that today Azure
Machine Learning just went public. Very soon reading, mapping and analysis of
the knowledge in a book we call the internet, will be a fact of life.

> Many years ago, I was involved in writing some tools for Z. The idea was
> that a non-programmer could specify what he wanted, and then the Z
> compiler would generate the code.

i haven’t heard of Z since uni, Z was hard work! Modern machine learning is a
world apart from Z.

> The project was a spectacular failure,
> because it turns out that getting that spec to be complete and accurate is
> exactly the same job as writing the code - the spec and the implementation
> can be considered synonymous. And this situation will persist until an AI
> is created that can properly *understand* a requirement. I don't know if
> we will ever get to that point - it's not just AI, it's Artificial
> Consciousness - but it won't happen in my lifetime.

I’ve no crystal ball but i do think we can achieve a system that can dream, I
think it will then deserve it's name “Lucy".  One thing is for sure, we are
bio-mechanical so in my mind electro-mechanical is plausible.  It’s moral
essence however, will only be a reflection of ourselves.