On 14 March 2015 at 11:56, Imran Chaudhry <ichaud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondered what software folks are using to encrypt USB HDDs?
>
> I used TrueCrypt pretty successfully but it's now unmaintained:
> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> I tried out eCryptfs sometime back but found it a bit of a hassle as
> it meant I had to mount things twice (the USB HDD and the encrypted
> partition).
>
> What alternatives are out there which are secure, maintained and
> somewhat hassle-free when it comes to removable storage?
>
> Bonus points for GUI-based and able to be used easily with Debian stable.
>
> Thanks!

Use LUKS. Standard Linux encryption.

There is also directions on how to create a Whole disc encryption method here.
I have not followed it, but it might work.

The idea is to have you enter the boot up password in GRUB, and then
GRUB decrypts the boot partition in order to find the linux kernel.
Then the kernel loads in the normal way, with the entire disk being
encrypted apart from the boot sectors.

Kind Regards

James