Thanks everyone for putting thought into this.  I think I have some leads now.

You're the best!

Owain

On 27/01/2021 19:45, Marc Loftus wrote:
Yeah the killer is the ram and processor then.

Look at atleast 8GB Ram and i5 processor.  My sister recently upgraded from a similar level as your son and on a budget.  The i5 to her feels like its on steroids now and she lives it.

If you have a budget of around £600 you should be able to do ok and should be able to get something with an SSD which also helps massively. CurrysPC World and John Lewis have filters for searches to help you choose from a few rather than dozens