Hi friends,

I have a laptop with Intel Graphics 4500 MHD and an external 22-inches
screen via the HDMI port. The internal screen has the resolution of
1366x768 and the external screen has the resolution of 1600x1050. I
have Kubuntu 10.10 "M. Monkey." Everything is fine, except for
recently I decided that I will not carry my laptop around anymore and
so I want to hook it up with the external screen more often.

A major annoyance is that Xorg always disregards my last setting every
time I reboot my laptop and will always clone the laptop display to
the external screen with the resolution of 1024x768 for both. I have
to start the monitor resolution control applet to change my screen
configuration every time I restart my computer. I don't want that.

What I want is to make the laptop output to the external screen only,
when it detects one over the HDMI port, and then makes the desktop
1600x1050 (or even better, the optimal resolution for the external
screen). If there is none, then it should use the internal display. I
don't care if I need to restart X every time I plug/unplug my external
monitor, as I don't do that very often.

Xorg has eliminated the xorg.conf so I don't know where to fix it, or
where to get a sample config file that will work optimally with my
screens. I have tried sudo X --configure but it just creates a garbage
file that make X crashes.

Thank you for your ideas to help this noob out,

--
Sent from my Lunix.