> A major annoyance is that Xorg always disregards my last setting every
> time I reboot my laptop and will always clone the laptop display to
> the external screen with the resolution of 1024x768 for both. I have
> to start the monitor resolution control applet to change my screen
> configuration every time I restart my computer. I don't want that.
>
> What I want is to make the laptop output to the external screen only,
> when it detects one over the HDMI port, and then makes the desktop
> 1600x1050 (or even better, the optimal resolution for the external
> screen). If there is none, then it should use the internal display. I
> don't care if I need to restart X every time I plug/unplug my external
> monitor, as I don't do that very often.

You can use xrandr to reconfigure the screens on-the-fly. I have a
script that automate this but I don't have it available right now...
You can check these pages for more informations:
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
http://www.x.org/wiki/Projects/XRandR

> Xorg has eliminated the xorg.conf so I don't know where to fix it, or
> where to get a sample config file that will work optimally with my
> screens. I have tried sudo X --configure but it just creates a garbage
> file that make X crashes.

Actually you can use xorg.conf, it's just that X.org will do its best
to autoconfigure if there is none. In case X.org finds a xorg.conf it
will use it ;)

> Thank you for your ideas to help this noob out,

Lucky is the noob, for (s)he has a lot to learn :)