On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Vũ Đỗ Quỳnh <vu.do.qu...@auf.org> wrote:

> I transfer to whom might be interested the latest of an exchange between
> Clytie Siddal, Christian Perrier and Arne Goetje.

It's interesting to read...

>> For Debian, I am the only ongoing Vietnamese translator (although I'd
>> welcome any other participants!). I think Ubuntu was chosen by MOST
>> as a priority because it was seen as more user-friendly, and it had
>> Launchpad as a one-stop translation portal. My personal opinion is
>> that Ubuntu benefits from Debian's quality control, and that
>> Launchpad has issues with quality and access (e.g. compared to
>> Pootle), but that's not an official statement. ;)

... or because it's became more popular.

>> I've always wanted to encourage more Vietnamese translators to
>> contribute to Debian. I'm not sure why they don't: I think there is a
>> perception that Debian is too difficult, that there are too many
>> things to learn, and also that they might be treading on my toes. Our
>> culture is very respectful of elders, so even though I generally
>> invite people to take part, they may be worried about offending me in
>> some way. I wouldn't be the slightest bit offended, and would in fact
>> be delighted if others wanted to participate. :)

While I'm supporting the translation of all Linux distros, I think the
current market share in VN is small enough to focus on a few distros.
It would be great if we have a statistics about that, but Ubuntu is
the most popular here. Ubuntu was not easy to use, but it has a
company behind, and now it's has an attractive UI and easy tools. I
don't know there are how many Debian users (and Debian women, yeah!)
in VN, but its number is far behind Ubuntu (with ubuntu-vn.org becomes
a little more popular now). A translator will think about that before
he participates.

That said, I don't discourage Debian users to translate Debian ;-)
It's a great pleasure to see the daily OS in native language. I just
try to reply to Clytie's question. I hope we'll find a few
enthusiastic Debian users in the coming mini Debconf.

--
Nguyễn Hải Nam