On 10/28/2010 01:04 AM, Jean Christophe André wrote:
> Le 27/10/2010 23:21, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy a écrit :
>> OK. So debconf templates have to be translated in Debian.
>> Ubuntu-vi team, hear, hear!
>
> Yeah! And please keep the main HanoiLUG mailing-list in Cc: to ensure
> they here it correctly! ;-)
>
> [about upstream first]
>
>> That's ideal but does not always work. "Upstream first" policy has a
>> disavantage that there will be a delay (plus man power) to integrate
>> changes back to downstream. Distro maintainers tend to update their
>> own packages first for their own benefits, then merge upstream later.
>>

> In fact, I had the occasion to work with some Ubuntu package
> maintainers, and some told me to just "ping" them when there is a
> translation update to merge downstream.
>
>> Not only translations, patches lingering at downstream for ages while
>> they should be merged upstream. Perhaps the idea of distro (or
>> upstream/downstream communication) could be refined.
>>

> For me all this delay is more artificial than real. For most (well
> constructed) packages we should just have to ask the maintainer to merge
> the translation updates. Ideally this process would even be somewhat
> automated, eg through a push-button in the PTS, which would allow only
> one run per day.
>
> Arne, is there such procedure/tool in Debian for the most important
> upstream projects (GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, …) ?

I'm not aware of any automated tool, but I guess the easiest way is to
file a bug report against the package in question, since translation
updates for debconf templates also get submitted this way. :)
For Gnome, KDE, Mozilla and OO.o they should be aware of upstream
updates already. For all other packages, a bug report would work.

Many packages in Debian have 'watch' files to let maintainers know when
a new upstream version is available. I guess most upstream translation
updates should get in this way (in 'unstable' and 'testing' at least).

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <a...@linux.org.tw>