Chào anh Quỳnh,

Le 2014-08-30 03:55, Quynh Vu Do a écrit :
I had questioned myself Whether it would be possible to open an ODF document natively (i.e. without installing any extension or plug-in) in, for example, Microsoft Office Word? My last experience with Microsoft Office 2003 and the asnwer was NO.

Still, there is now an official (ie from Microsoft) Office extension to support ODF.

As I am now again forced to work under Windows computers, although the first thing I did was to dual-boot my work computer with Ubuntu, I have Microsoft Office 2007 installed and in other department where I work they even have MS Office 2010 installed. So I tried to open a native ODT document that I created originally with LibreOffice (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) with MS Word 2007 and the result was two popup windows that basically would tell me that MS Word could not open the file because it was likely corrupted, and that the content was unreadable.

The reason for this is probably because:
1/ MS Word versions before 2013 only supported ODF version 1.1 (and I'm not even sure it's a complete support; whereas ODF 1.2 in 2013 is officially announced by Microsoft as being fully supported) ; 2/ OpenOffice/LibreOffice default to use an extended version of the ODF (and recommend to use it), even when using version 1.2 (see in Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > ODF version).

So, even when you use MS Office 2013 (ie the MS Office version with the best ODF support, as announced), you'll still may get trouble reading ODF documents produced by OpenOffice/LibreOffice, since MS Office officially support only ODF 1.2 and not the OpenOffice/LibreOffice specific extensions.

Only if I was sure of the source could I open the document at my risks.
Of course the default answer chosen was Not to open the file. But If you would pass by these warnings then you would be surprised that MS Word did quite a good job of restituing the original formatting of the ODT document.

It really depends on the complexity of the original document. At AUF we had multiple cases where the ODF document was not correctly interpreted and it resulted in damaged formating. It looks a lot like when trying to open a complex OOXML document in LibreOffice.

My conclusion: MS Word 2007 and 2010 can "perfectly" open native and genuine ODT documents without any plug-in installation, they can also save in the ODT format (by scrolling at the end of the list of possible formats), but they do not encourage at all to do so, on the contrary. This is some good news as Windows and MS Office users would not be obliged to install LibreOffice to be able to open ODF documents, but this deterrent attitude of Microsoft Office at the opening of ODF documents doesn't help at all.

I would still recommend to install LibreOffice in Windows, associating only ODF file types to it. This way, either kind of documents would be opened natively, be it OOXML or ODF.

Cheers, J.C.

--
Jean Christophe ANDRÉ  —  Coordonnateur des infrastructures techniques
Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF)  —   http://www.auf.org/