On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 05:44:09PM -0800, Daniel Gentleman wrote:
> Good idea! I can have the external IP of the domain redirected (with
> FreeBSD's pf rules) to an internal IP then have HAProxy bind to that internal
> IP. If the external IP fails over to that second box, HAProxy should already
> be running. I'll test and report the results.

If FreeBSD does not allow you to bind to a non-local IP, I would suggest that
you try a different method instead :

 - configure both of your servers with same IP aliases
 - configure your router, firewall or whatever to route those aliases via
   the CARP address.

It's a common way to handle large amounts of virtual IPs without having to
announce them all. In your case, it allows both servers to have their
daemons bound to the service IPs.

And BTW, if you're sure FreeBSD does not allow you to bind to a non-local IP,
I think you should ask for a feature request. This should be almost nothing
to do, basically just a condition to add to an existing "if" in the source
code, so maybe they will add it for future releases.