defaults
   timeout client 5s
   timeout connect 5s
   timeout server 5s
   option nolinger
listen stats x.x.x.x:8080
   mode http
   stats uri /

Actually, I just tracked down the issue (partially anyway).
"option nolinger"

is/was causing this.

Moving nolinger into the frontend block seems to keep the fin_wait1 down and
makes the stats page work!
odd that I never get this issue when haproxy is proxying though, only with the
stats page?

How nice though that haproxy lets you set such low-level options on a
per-request basis!

I guess its not really a bug then :)

-Adam