On 01/06/2011 06:07 PM, Angelo Höngens wrote:
On 6-1-2011 9:59, David wrote:
If a host name has 4 A records, then most DNS servers (if not all)
will return it round-robin. So first a.a.a.1, then a.a.a.2, then
a.a.a.1, then a.a.a.2, etc.. Of course there are multiple dns servers
involved and thousands of clients over the world, but in the end we
almost always get a perfect 25-25-25-25 balancing.

Hm, interesting, I have seen reports of different behaviors. What kind
of configurations may interfere with the ideal, near uniform balancing ?

Dunno.. what I do know is that the more users you get, the better the
balancing :)

That seems intuitive :)

Here you see a request graph of one of my clusters:

http://files.hongens.nl/2011/01/06/varnishrequests.png

As you see the distribution is not perfect, but for me it's enough.

That looks indeed much better than what I would have expected following what I read. Thanks a lot for the detailed info,

David