As an example, our shop extends your wish list with the ability to pull
stats from the UNIX socket and trigger alerts via Nagios or Cloudkick ass we
need.  If you want it, easy to add whatever you need to a fork of this.
 We'll commit it back in: https://github.com/flores/haproxyctl

I believe you can only enable or disable already configured servers in your
pool.  A way around this could be to set disabled servers to some floating
ip address/dns you assign to new servers.  Still limited by the number of
preconfigured ips/dns records of course.

Maybe there's a better way...