Hi Joel,

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 03:04:40PM -0800, Joel Krauska wrote:
> Awesome - This is a great start.
>
> Putting a server in backup or primary mode would be a nice addition.

Do you have an example of what purpose it would serve ? I'm asking
because it's not very easy to implement with table-based algorithms,
since the size of the table is determined by the GCD of all active
servers' weights. Thus adding a new server will change the size of
the table.

It's also a feature I've never seen on other products either, which
makes be doubt about its usefulness.

What I'd like to implement however is the notion of spare servers,
servers which are activated only above a certain load or when too
many servers were lost. Maybe this is in fact what you're looking
for ?

> Adding new servers would also be nice, but that's likely to be a harder
> project.

Yes, it was already proposed but there are quite a number of structural
issues. This as simple as file descriptors to check the servers, and
table size for load balancing come to mind. I'd really prefer that we
spend our time working on a hot reconfiguration (which will bring this
benefit) than on border-line features that are supposed to work around
the lack of hot reconf.