From: Holger Just [mailto:hapr...@meine-er.de]
Sent: den 7 november 2011 12:45
To: haproxy@formilux.org
Subject: Re: Autoscaling in haproxy with persistence sessions

On 2011-11-07 21:32, Erik Torlen wrote:
> If you get a burst against 3 active backend servers they will take
> care of all the request and connections. The clients that are active
> will then get a persistence sessions against 1 of these 3 servers. It
> will take ~5min to scale up a new server so during that period more
> clients could come in and the 3 backend would then be even more
> overloaded.

You should take care to not overload your backend servers in the
first place. The connection limits can be finely tunes your each backend
server. Requests exceeding the limits are queued which will prevent your
servers from getting overwhelmed and dieing, usually taking others with it.

Generally, I think you should make sure that your service is not getting
overwhelmed by starting new instances earlier so you can actually handle
the traffic. But in the end, I think it depends on how important session
locality is for your service, i.e. which of those you can accept
earlier: broken session locality or slightly delayed responsed due to
queing.

--Holger