With this approach you really want 1 fewer public IP than you have public
facing servers. With 2 servers this means 1 IP. DNS is used to distribute the
load around, and keepalived is used to move traffic when a server fails.  But
you always want at least 1 servers worth of spare capacity in your HA
environment, otherwise after you fail over the server getting 2X traffic will
also die.

Actually that's an oversimplified example, since to distribute the load
correctly you'd need n-1 public addresses on each of n servers (with
diminishing returns). Thankfully few LB scenarios require more than 1X1
machines.

-Richard