Hi Phil,

I have just been through this exact exercise. I have just posted my
results to the Pound Proxy mailing list (so sorry to anyone that is a
subscriber there, here is comes again!). This is the post I just sent,
keepalived is so simple and I have it working with Pound and HAProxy;

Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses!

I have successfully implemented this now using keepalived. I would
thoroughly recommend this to anyone looking for IP failover, is really
easy to do. Download & compile which is as easy as;

wget http://www.keepalived.org/software/keepalived-1.2.7.tar.gz
gunzip keepalived-1.2.7.tar.gz
tar -xf keepalived-1.2.7.tar
cd keepalived-1.2.7/
sudo apt-get install libpopt-dev snmp snmpd libnl1 libnl-dev
libssl-dev make libsnmp-dev
./configure --enable-snmp
make
sudo make install

Then the following basic config will get you up and running with a basic set up;

vrrp_instance pound_ips {
    state MASTER
    interface eth1
    virtual_router_id 10
    priority 100
    advert_int 1
    nopreempt
    virtual_ipaddress {
        192.168.0.250
    }
    authentication {
        auth_type PASS
        auth_pass bxUcbz52FE38
    }
}

That reall is the bare minimum which will get you up and running. I
made some notes here;
http://null.53bits.co.uk/index.php?page=keepalived

Cheers to all,
James.