Ben Timby <btimby@...> writes:

> Alok,
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Alok Kumar <a_sahay-
/e1597as9lqavxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:I have a HA Proxy
server(1.4), thzt is  load balacing FTP traffic to Six FTP
> servers.
> I noticed that Load Balancer is dropping traffic after 50 sec, where as
there
> was a valid ftp control port and Large file transfer was in progress over
data
> port.
>

> I have the same behavior on my cluster (by design) by setting "timeout
client" (or old clitimeout) setting in haproxy. For me it is desirable, as
most (all?) FTP clients will re-open the
> command channel if needed. The command channel is not needed for ongoing
>  transfers.http://code.google.com/p/haproxy-docs/wiki/timeout_client
>
> You might also look for "timeout server" in your configuration.It may be
that this is unintentionally enabled in your configuration.

> I tried using tcpka in defaults section, but it didn't make any
difference.
> In my particular case, using tcpka option on the backend side could have
> solved the issue of control channel timing out dut to inactivity.
> Am I  missing something like setting tcp keeyalive time, interval and
probe
> frequency setup on Ha Proxy Linux server.
>

> If
>  the answer is not so simple, I suggest you provide your configuration to
the list
> (obscure anything sensitive) to receive more in-depth help.

Hi Ben,
In my case we are load balancing across FTP servers.

FTP uses two data channel and command channel port for data transfer.

Since HaProxy is not FTP aware, if command channel is idle during large file
transfer, it does not recognize that data channel is still continuing and
closes command channel.

I am looking for keepalive options that can make command channel activeeven
though no data is flowing thru it.

I am not sure if this is doable in HAProxy.

If you have any question, then please let me know.