On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:59:51AM -0400, Andy M. wrote:
> I looked at my pcap file again.  It looks really weird.  My HAProxy gets
> the GET request, and sends the response.  The the client resends the GET
> request, and there seems to be a lot of tcp_retransmission and dup ack
> packets.  Here is a picture of one request to my haproxy:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/r3oz6lz.png
>
> Any clue what would cause that problem?

Yes, a typical packet loss between you and the client.

> I tried to change the max_syn_backlog, and somaxconn values to both
> 10240/20480 and 262144/262144, neither seemes to have solved the problem.

Here it's not the SYN backlog since it's the HTTP request that is retransmitted.
It is possible that your network interface has a defect. It happened to me once,
in a batch of 10 NICs, 3 had defective RAM chips which would randomly corrupt
outgoing packets. Try to use another interface or another switch port.

> Conntrack is not loaded, I checked this a while ago, and I am not using
> anything that would load it.  Here are the commands below.  It also doesn't
> look like anything is being dropped.  The interface I am using is bond1.

Great, since you're using bonding, it's easy to switch to the other NIC and
see if it works better.

>From your stats, I'm assuming you're not running with both NICs attached to
the same bond in round robin. I was just checking, because doing so would
expose you to a high probability of disordering packets, which some firewalls
generally don't accept and will block, causing the client to retransmit.

I think now you need to sniff closer to the client to see where the packets
are lost. If you can make a span on your switch to check if it correctly
receives them, that will help you.