Ok seems to work now knowing this. Though it hase some side affects.

i could now match "param=TEST" using the following acl:
acl PAYLOADcheck req.payload(0,0) -m reg -i 706172616d3D54455354

Case insensitive matching works 'perfectly', but for the hex code (see the D and d above), but doesnt match different cases of letters which one would probably expect. So even though i use -i, if i use the word TEST in lower case it doesn't match anymore.

There might be a workaround for that with the ",lower" option (i didnt confirm if that is applied before the hex conversion.)

Also the current documentation gives several examples which indicate a different working:
"
On systems where the regex library is much slower when using "-i", it is possible to convert the sample to lowercase before matching, like this : acl script_tag payload(0,500),lower -m reg <script>
"
This doesn't work for detecting the text "<script> " as its hex equivalent should be there, also if less than 500 bytes are send in the initial request it doesn't match at all.

So seems like this part of the manual could use a little more clarification. (Praise though for the overall completeness/clarity of the manual!) Though if implementation now changes to match the manual, and possibly a additional tohex option that would be great. As its used on mode tcp certainly the option should exist to match binary/hex values that cannot be easily expressed with normal text. So the original design implementation does make sense, just not for 'textual' protocols.

Thanks for investigating.
PiBa-NL