Hey,

I have ran into a odd scenario, where the backend is DOWN however the
layer 7 checks are passing. I have included the check which we
received. The haproxy setup is fairly simple using proxy protocol. I
could only find one example of this issue here, however, no follow up
was done on the reason:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.haproxy/10454

The current setup is haproxy box uses proxy protocol to nginx which
sends it to the backends.

The only thing I question that may have effected this was  "limit_conn
  slowdown  50;" in nginx. The nodes did hit the slowdown due to
volume, I however was unable to replicate this same DOWN Layer7 check
passed in synthetic testing afterwords.

localhost haproxy[27338]: Server backend_name/ip is DOWN, reason:
Layer7 check passed, code: 200, check duration: 4ms. 0 active and 0
backup servers left. 344 sessions active, 0 requeued, 0 remaining in
queue.

HAProxy Config (IP's and Service names changed):
https://gist.github.com/coosh/63939a070ac60509ef16

Nginx Config <all of them are very simple> (IP's and Service names
changed): https://gist.github.com/coosh/0dfefd164d4ccbce9ffa

Rob