>> I've just re-upgraded my haproxy instances to 1.5.11 and added the
>> "option http-tunnel" as you suggested. I'm waiting for things to
>> stabilize before jumping to conclusions, but it looks a bit better at
>> the moment.
>> I'll return with verdict about performance in a while after monitoring
>> further!
>
> So far it looks a lot better with the "option http-tunnel" option set
> after upgrading to 1.5.11 at ~12:00 today.
> I also manage to dig out a combined graph in custom date format to get
> a better view of tcp_connections, something that i completely
> overlooked yesterday, and the default "option http-keep-alive" seems
> to have caused some havoc to my amount of established connections
> which explain the increased cpu-usage: http://imgur.com/EToNrhS
>
> I also noted that we seem to have rather unevenly distributed clients
> with our rrdns as the 03 server recieves more reqeusts overall, but
> that's another story and have noting to do with 1.4 to 1.5 upgrade.
> Thanks for your help so far Lukas, I really appreciate it. I should
> also have listen better to PiBa-NL in &haproxy@FreeNode who suggested
> the same change to look at yesterday evening. :)

Thanks for confirming.

Now, I think if you would remove "option forceclose" and use:
option http-keep-alive
option prefer-last-server

everywhere, you could achieve similar performance. Using keep-alive
instead of tunneling has a lot of benefits. option forwardfor for
example works on all requests, not just the first in the session, etc.

Regards,
Lukas