> I consider openssh for sftp pretty much unusable for clients/customers.

I wouldn’t say that.
Certainly true if they don’t actually know what they’re doing.

As for the setup: yes, the first directory users can write to in a chroot-setup
is a subdirectory of the home directory (because $HOME needs to be owned by
root).

But everything else is pretty simple. You don’t need any special devices or
other stuff in the chroot itself.
It basically just works in my experience.

If you want to chroot a full, interactive shell, though, you’re jumping into a
world of pain…

Doesn’t have much to do with haproxy, though.

Personally, I’m not sure if load-balancing FTP is worth the effort.
Also, it looks like it’s quite „fragile“ and as such the load-balancing might
break more often than a single-server without load-balancing.