Phil,

First, use '-k' option on ab to keep connections alive on ab side.

>From a pure benchamrk point of view, using the loopback is useless!
Furthermore if all VMs are hosted on the same hypervisor.
You won't be able to get any accurate conclusion from your test,
because the injector VM is impacting the HAProxy VM, which migh be
mutually impacted the server VMs...

Baptiste