Hi there Igor,

> How did you do that? By putting the haproxy's security group or the
> haproxy's ip to the mysql group inbound rule?  Sorry but which non local IP
> is that?

I put the external IP of the haproxy server into the security group on the
mysql server. In this case the external IP from the haproxy host is an
elastic IP. And I saw that when I did that and  performed a grant on the
database I could log into the db from the haproxy machine.

How many interfaces haproxy has? Is it connected to the 10.10.10.0/24 network
> at all?

> Looks to me you are trying to use VIP's or something which does not work
> in same way as in normal lan's. Don't forget that in AWS we are dealing
> with SDN's so giving l0 or any other interface a second IP address localy
> on the instance using ip tool lets say will simply not work. That IP is not
> visible to the SDN and the interface will never send or receive any
> traffic. You need that IP allocated to the haproxy interface (no option for
> l0 here) via EC2 console or aws cli tool.

The IP's I was using in the example config I posted to the thread earlier
was using fake IP's, not the real ones. In reality I had used the external
IP's which are on a 52.3.22 subnet (for example on one host).

The haproxy machines have just one interface, and they're both on the same
VPC. This is needed for failover. Those IPs actually are 10-net addresses.
So maybe I'll need to put those IP's into the SG's on the database nodes to
get this working?

So for example if I do a command like this:

[root@ha1:/etc/haproxy] #ifconfig | grep inet | grep -v inet6
        inet 10.0.0.XXX  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.0.0.255
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0

What I get back is a 10-net address and the loopback.

Only thing is that the database hosts are on separate AWS accounts. So I
don't know how the database nodes will be able to recognize the internal
10-net addresses from the haproxy hosts.

Do you have any suggestions on how this can (or can't) work?

Thanks,
Tim

--
GPG me!!