Hi,

Thierry was working on making it possible to implement internal services
in Lua using applets (similar to stats, peers or CLI), which I decided
to delay to 1.7 because we didn't want to push the release date further
despite the feature being very interesting (otherwise we do that with
every interested feature and we never release).

But last night he reported to me that he was facing some annoying bugs
in the applets, that I could reproduce, showing that even the stats CLI
is bogus (eg: changing the timeout on the fly doesn't work, the session
doesn't get released when it strikes, and applet->release() may be called
up to 3 times, possibly resulting in double-free). Worse, it was not
caused by a stupidly simple bug, but was a consequence of the applet
rework done months ago to prepare for HTTP/2 :-( Needless to say I was
much less excited by the idea of issuing dev6 with such bugs in it...

Thus, today I'm trying to understand where all this mess comes from and
to fix it. It may take one or two more days depending on the complexity,
and may even uncover new bugs once believed to be fixed, so I already
predict that dev6 and -final will be postponed by about one week. This
means the next -dev should be there by this week-end, and -final on the
next week-end.

Please note: if some people really want a dev6 because it makes their tests
easier, I can issue it now and we'll have a dev7 later. That's really not a
problem. I just thought it was not worth it, but I could be wrong, so please
ask if you want it.

The good point is that since Thierry's work can easily trigger such bugs,
I definitely want to see it work to confirm all the bugs are fixed. Once
it works *and if it doesn't risk to cause any regressions anywhere else*
I'm quite open to merging it as it will open the way to much more
interesting features using Lua (eg: multi-process stats aggregation or
things like this).

I'll keep you informed. Please do not take this opportunity to feed me
with new features or code to review, that will only result in delaying
the fixes and further postponing the release. Fixes and doc cleanups
are still welcome of course!

Thanks,