Hi Folks,

We use HAProxy as our loadbalancer in our private cloud at Symantec. We spin
these HAProxy processes in a separate network namespaces. We had a bug in our
HAProxy config population script which was adding wrong mode in frontend and
backbend sections for SSL termination. The right mode should have been HTTP but
we are adding TCP as the mode in the HAProxy config files. We didn’t discover
this bug till last few weeks when we started seeing kernel panics on our
hypervisors. For reference, we are using Ubuntu trusty 14.04 with kernel
3.13-0.52.

We are not 100% sure if this was the root-cause but fixing the mode stopped the
kernel panics we were noticing.

Can somebody help us get more understanding as to what are the implications of
adding wrong mode in config file and why this could cause a kernel panic if at
all.

Thanks,
Varun