On 11/19/2015 17:01, Janusz Dziemidowicz wrote:
>> Now, about RSA vs ECDSA. I simply don't trust ECDSA. There are quite a
>> lot of questions about constants used by ECDSA, which seem to be
>> chosen quite arbitrarily by its creator, which happens to be NSA.
>> These questions of course remain unanswered. Even respected scientists
>> like Schneier say that RSA should be used instead (see
>> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/the_nsa_is_brea.html#c167
>> 5929
>
> But ECDSA itself does not contain any constants (see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_Curve_Digital_Signature_Algorithm).
> Yes, you have to choose domain parameters and most commonly used are
> NIST ones. But you can also use brainpool curves, which specifically
> avoid using any arbitrary constants (see
> http://www.ecc-brainpool.org/download/Domain-parameters.pdf) and they
> are even defined for TLS (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7027) and
> apparently supported by latest OpenSSL. Unfortunately not by anything
> else.
> OK, anyway that's your preference, I'm not going to argue about ECDSA or not;)
>
>> ). When I'm done setting my HTTP(S) services, I'll simply limit
>> incoming connections connections on my firewall so DDOS'ing won't be
>> possible, unless you DDOS my firewall :)
>
> I've never said anything about DDoS. In such setup there is no need
> for distributed DoS. The CPU usage of RSA 8192 is so high that a
> single shell script running on a single attack machine can kill any
> server.
> If you are willing to limit your connection rate on a firewall to a
> few per second, then fine;)
>
> As for your problem. Now that it seems like SSL problem, can you just
> try with RSA 4096 or 2048? RSA 8192 is really not much tested in most
> code, so maybe the problem is in fact related.

Unfortunately, accessing my HTTPS services by only OpenSSL is out of the
question. Besides, I use LibreSSL and am not sure it supports it, since
OpenBSD people got rid of quite a lot of unnecessary code.

So I can only choose ECDSA or RSA.

I don't think limiting my connections is a bad idea vs choosing weaker
RSA. As I said before, I actually expect only a few connections at once.

I've generated RSA 2048 cert with:
openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout haproxy.pem -out haproxy.pem
-days 3650 -nodes

That is, I didn't use any non-default options, such as SHA512.
Unfortunately, it doesn't yield any result. I'm now considering
switching to SSL Pass-through, and configuring HTTPS in each of my WWW
servers, it may be much quicker considering how long I've been getting
Haproxy to work.