On 10/05/2016 12:07 πμ, Maxime de Roucy wrote:
> Hi Willy and Cyril,
>
> I just send a new version of the patch.
> I made some changes following the remarks of Willy.
>
>>> I'm not sure to like this feature in its current implementation.
>>> I fear it will also create some new issues depending on how people
>>> will use it.
>
> Indeed it should be use with care.
> But for me it's as dangerous as the '--' option as '--' had clearly
> been implemented to be used with bash globling.
> However with '--' the sysadmin can filter himself the files list ; it
> can't with my patch.
>
>>> For example, I know lots of sysadmin who have the (bad) habit to
>>> make backup of the configuration files in the same directory,
>>> without cleaning it up. We may see some directories like this :
>>>
>>> service1.cfg
>>> service2.cfg
>>> service2.cfg~
>>> service3.cfg.20160509
>>> service4.cfg-19980101
>>> service5.cfg
>>> service5.cfg.old
>>> service6.cfg.disabled
>>>
>>> ...and so on.
>>>
>>> When several sysadmins share the same haproxy instance, it can
>>> quickly
>>> become annoying.
>>>
>>> Other use cases I immediately see :
>>> - some configurations provide the crt files in the same directory,
>>> which will break things
>>> - some others will store map files in the same directory also
>>> - what about configurations with a README or similar in the
>>> directory ? or swap files because someone else is editing a file at
>>> the same time ?
>
> The last point is a very good one I think, swap files can easily be
> forgotten.
> The previous ones are more controversial for me as with my patch the
> directory itself become a configuration "file". If sysadmin put "trash"
> in it, it's the same as if he put "trash" in a configuration file… it's
> not haproxy's fault if it fail.

IMHO: If as operator configure haproxy to source all files from a
directory and at the same time I leave broken configuration in that
directory then I blame myself and I don't expect from HAProxy to be
smart enough to do right job for me.

Some times having craftsmanship as one of the main competence of your
coworkers is the right solution, rather having technical solutions to
compensate the absence of craftsmanship.

My 2 cents,
Pavlos