Home directory for user  haproxy or other permissible place had to be used
to start in order to store a core file.  While running in the non daemon
mode killall -6 haproxy produced core.  However editing /etc/init.d/haproxy
as below had no effect, i.e no core.

start() {
  ++ ulimit -c unlimited
  ++ cd /home/haproxy
  quiet_check
  if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
    echo "Errors found in configuration file, check it with '$BASENAME
check'."
    return 1
  fi

  echo -n "Starting $BASENAME: "
  daemon $BIN -D -f $CFG $EXTRAOPTS -p $PIDFILE
  RETVAL=$?
  echo
  [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch $LOCKFILE
  return $RETVAL