You should be able to configure haproxy in TCP mode and have it appear
transparent, without the clients complaining. You won't be able to do anything
on the http level, of course, but passing encrypted streams back and forth is a
completely valid use case. Just keep anything TLS out of the haproxy config for
these front ends and backends. :-)