>> This kinda seems like the socket was closed on the writing side, but
>> the client has already sent something and everything is stuck. I was
>> not able to reproduce the problem by myself. Any ideas how to debug
>> this further?
>
> For now not much comes to my mind. I'd be interested in seeing the
> output of "show fd" issued on the stats socket of such a process (it
> can be large, be careful).

Will do tomorrow. Forgot to mention, apart from this issue everything
seems to work fine. No user reports any problem. Obviously it consumes
more and more memory. So I can enable h2 for an hour or two to avoid
problems.

>> haproxy -vv (Debian package rebuilt on stretch with USE_TFO):
>
> Interesting, and I'm seeing "tfo" on your bind line. We don't have it
> on haproxy.org. Could you please re-test without it, just in case ?
> Maybe you're receiving SYN+data+FIN that are not properly handled.

I've spend some time tweaking several settings already. I believe I've
checked without tfo and there was no difference. Will repeat that
tomorrow to be sure.

>> HA-Proxy version 1.8.9-1~tsg9+1 2018/05/21
>
> Is 1.8.9 the first version you tested or is it the first one you saw
> the issue on, or did you notice the issue on another 1.8 version ? If
> it turned out to be a regression it could be easier to spot in fact.
>
> Your config is very clean and shows nothing suspicious at all. Thus at
> first knowing if tfo changes anything would be a good start.

I've seen this issue also in 1.8.8, which was the first version I've
used after 1.7.x. My actual config is a bit more complicated (multiple
processes per socket, some stats, etc.), but I've been stripping it
down and down and what I've attached is still producing this issue for
me.

Anyway, I'll do another round of experiments (without tfo) tomorrow.

--
Janusz Dziemidowicz