Hi Tait,

1. Reloading with SRV records ignores server-state-file

Can you tell me more about this one. How do you see that?
I mean, I have a conf similar to yours and I can see HAProxy parsing the
server state file (and returning a bunch of warning I'm working on about
backend name and ID mismatch).

==> while writing this mail, I am able to reproduce the issue I think:
- start HAProxy with SRV records
- dump servers state
- update haproxy conf to prevent dns resolution at runtime
- reload haproxy
==> my servers are now "unconfigured"... (no IP, no FQDN, nothing from the
servers state file)

    - While this is not a huge deal, it does mean that the backend in
> question becomes unavailable when the proxy is reloaded until the SRV and
> subsequent A records are resolved

Well, this is the role of the server state file: populating server info at
configuration parsing time so you don't have to wait until first DNS
resolution to get servers' information.
==> this might be caused by the bug found above.

2. Additional record responses from the nameserver are not parsed
>     - This just means that any servers that are populated from the SRV
> records require a second round of querying for each of the hosts after the
> fqdn is stored. It might be more efficient if these records are also parsed
> but I can see that it might be pretty challenging in the current DNS
> resolver
>     - Only reason I thought of this was to try and reduce up the time it
> takes to populate the backend servers with addresses in an effort to lessen
> the effects of #1

I'll work on this one as soon as I fixed the bug above/

Baptiste