Hello,

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 15:12, Tim Düsterhus <t...@bastelstu.be> wrote:
> > So does anyone have an opinion about the proposal above. Do not try
> > to be gentle, "this is stupid" or "don't change anything at this point"
> > are fine to me. I'd just want to be sure that whatever choice we make,
> > it will have been given some though and will not just be the result of
> > "oops we again forgot to change this".
>
> These aliases still have the issue that the development headers are not
> necessarily installed, even if the distro has the headers available. I'm
> not sure whether there even is a need to change anything at all:
>
> - The uneducated user will simply use whatever their distro maintainer
> (or third party repository maintainer) selects for them. They don't
> touch `make` at all.
> - The distro maintainer can be expected to be smart enough to take a
> look into the Makefile and enable all the options that are available on
> the distro.
> - The power user most likely wants to customize his build to include
> exactly what they need (e.g. disable Lua).
>
> None of these groups would really benefit from a `linux-recent` target!
>
> Instead I suggest to:
>
> 1. Add a `linux` target that is equivalent to `linux2628` (thus being
> equivalent to the linux-minimal from your suggestion above).
> 2. Remove all the other linux targets that target kernels from a
> bazillion years ago. If anyone actually has a need to run these AND also
> run a bleeding edge HAProxy they can be expected to be smart enough to
> use TARGET=generic and select all the other options.
>
> If we really want to make it easy for users then we should add an
> autoconf script that automatically spits out a line with all the
> supported options (and possibly `apt-get` commands to install the
> remaining headers that are not supported).

I agree with Tim.

I don't think anyone still deploys "heavily patched 2.4 kernels" and
2.6.28 is ancient itself, but a dependency. We can just call it Linux
at this point.

This removes the strange "2628" number which may be confusing, without
introducing build issues by including additional external libraries.

Lukas