Aleks,

Am 15.04.20 um 15:35 schrieb Aleksandar Lazic:
>> Can we please stop complaining about these disclaimers? It adds more
>> noise to the list than the disclaimers itself which are neatly tucked
>> away at the end of the email.
>
> Nope, because I only add my complaining when I answer a question or try
> to answer a question.
>
> I agree with you that just to talk about the disclaimer increases the
> noise, but sometimes is a discussion necessary, IMHO.

Even then I scroll through the email to read it in full, only to find a
"get rid of the disclaimer" at the very end. The last quote block + your
comment about the disclaimer takes up 23 lines. That's almost height of
a standard 80x24 terminal (and incidentally also the height of the
message pane within my MUA).

All that for a reply that could be reduced to the following 3 sentences:

The error message indicates that your HAProxy was not compiled with SSL
support enabled. You can check by running `haproxy -vv`. Please always
provide that output when seeking help on the list to allow for effective
support.

>> I'm fully aware that they are of dubious value, but your complaints are
>> not going to change anything about them. The HAProxy users seeking help
>> on the list are not going to be able to get rid of them, because that's
>> usually a decision made by their non-technical management.
>
> That's a assumption which is not always true, as far as I know. There are
> some persons which can decide by them self which e-mail address they use.

Yes, that's why I said "usually".

>> Maybe they
>> are even legally necessary in some legislation on this world. I don't
>> know, because I'm not a lawyer proficient in law of all 195 countries.
>
> Me neither but the most reason to ad this disclaimer is legal certainty
> which is useless, from my point of view.

Yes exactly, *your* PoV. The sender's PoV and laws can differ.

>> The users came here to receive help with HAProxy and not to be berated.
>
> I don't see the notice about useless disclaimer as berate. From my point
> of view is the information that the e-mail disclaimer to a public mailing
> list a clarification not a berate.

A short note *might* be appropriate for a mailing list about email
operations, because the entire purpose of such a list would be "how to
send email properly". The purpose of this list is "how to use HAProxy"
which has nothing to do with email (unless you use HAProxy to load
balance your SMTP servers of course).

>> FWIW: If I was sending mail to this list from $COMPANY email you would
>> need to live with a 14 line signature that is not a disclaimer, but
>> similarly is snail mail information of $COMPANY that I'm required to add
>> by law.
>
> A snail mail disclaimer is not the same as e-mail disclaimer.

I am aware. That's why I said "[...] is not a disclaimer, but similarly
[...]". Similarly in that it is legal (or pseudo legal) boilerplate.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclaimer
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_disclaimer#Effectiveness_of_disclaimers

You do not need to educate me with Wikipedia articles. And in fact the
second link uses a very non-committal language by saying that these
disclaimers "[...] may not be legally enforceable". Any statement with a
"may" in it is absolutely useless.

Best regards
Tim Düsterhus