Hi Tim,

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 04:17:00PM +0100, Tim Düsterhus wrote:
> William
>
> On 3/8/22 16:06, William Lallemand wrote:
> > Also, I'm wondering if we could also cache the build of HAProxy, you
> > could think that weird, but in fact it will help relaunch the tests when
> > one is failing, without rebuilding the whole thing.
>
> Please don't. You always want to run a clean build, otherwise you're going
> to get super-hard-to-debug failures if some object file is accidentally
> taken from the cache instead of a clean build.

What risk are you having in mind for example ? I'm personally thinking
that vtest is sufficiently self-contained to represent almost zero risk.
We could possibly even pre-populate it and decide to rebuild if it's not
able to dump its help page.

> I don't like it. As you say: It's ugly and introduces complexity for a mere
> 8 second gain. Sure, we should avoid burning the planet by wasting CPU
> cycles in CI, but there's a point we're the additional complexity results in
> a maintenance nightmare.

In fact it's not just the number of CPU cycles, it's also a matter of
interactivity. A long time ago I remember that we used to push and wait
for the build to complete. For a long time it has changed, we push and
switch to something else, and completely forget that we'd submitted a
build. For sure it's not vtest alone that will radically change this,
but my impression is that it could help, and near-zero risk. But that's
my perception and I could be mistaken.

Thanks,