Dear haproxy users,

We recently noticed an inconsistency with haproxy -dKcnv output (which
may be used to dump all available sample converters from the cli).

Here is how a converter is currently being represented in -dKcnv output:

  conv_name([arg1 ...]) : output_type => input_type

For instance with the iff converter this would look like this:

> $> haproxy -f test.conf -dKcnv | grep nbsrv
> iif(string,string): str => bool

According to the documentation, iff converter returns a string, either
the first or the second argument, depending on whether the input value
(boolean expected) is true or false.

Here is the catch: with the current output format, "=>" suggests a left
to right transition. Thus it feels more logical to see input => output
instead of output => input.

Input and output were probably mixed when the feature was first
implemented and it was never updated since.

We would like to know your thoughts about this, whether you would be OK
or not with us "inverting" output_type and input_type in -dKcnv output
to remove this ambiguity for the 2.8 release:

  conv_name([arg1 ...]) : input_type => output_type

For the iff converter used as an example, this would result in the
following output being produced:

> iif(string,string): bool => str

As '-dKcnv' support was added in 2.6, we would totally understand if you
rely on the current output format and don't expect nor want it to be
changed, but we would prefer to hear it from you if this is the case.

Thank you very much,

Aurelien