On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 10:09:55PM +0200, Aurelien DARRAGON wrote:
> Dear haproxy users,
>
> We recently noticed an inconsistency with haproxy -dKcnv output (which
> may be used to dump all available sample converters from the cli).
>
> Here is how a converter is currently being represented in -dKcnv output:
>
>   conv_name([arg1 ...]) : output_type => input_type
>
> For instance with the iff converter this would look like this:
>
> > $> haproxy -f test.conf -dKcnv | grep nbsrv
> > iif(string,string): str => bool
>

> According to the documentation, iff converter returns a string, either
> the first or the second argument, depending on whether the input value
> (boolean expected) is true or false.
>
> Here is the catch: with the current output format, "=>" suggests a left
> to right transition. Thus it feels more logical to see input => output
> instead of output => input.
>
> Input and output were probably mixed when the feature was first
> implemented and it was never updated since.
>
> We would like to know your thoughts about this, whether you would be OK
> or not with us "inverting" output_type and input_type in -dKcnv output
> to remove this ambiguity for the 2.8 release:
>
>   conv_name([arg1 ...]) : input_type => output_type
>
> For the iff converter used as an example, this would result in the
> following output being produced:
>
> > iif(string,string): bool => str
>
> As '-dKcnv' support was added in 2.6, we would totally understand if you
> rely on the current output format and don't expect nor want it to be
> changed, but we would prefer to hear it from you if this is the case.

Thanks Aurélien for the explanation.

In short, I don't think anyone depends on it and I'm willing to merge
Aurélien's fix today before the release. However if we get a single
"please don't do that" before noon CEST today, I'll refrain from doing
it. It won't change in a stable version in any case, so better know
before releasing ;-)

Thanks,