Hi Christopher,

Thank you for starting the discussion here.

>Worst, other parts of HAProxy evolved,
especially applets part, making maintenance ever more expensive.

Can we elaborate on what makes maintenance expensive?

>We must be realistic on the subject, there was no real adoption on the SPOE and
this partly explains why no time was invest on it.

My company primarily uses SPOE in cases where we've to connect with
non-http downstreams, for example, connecting to the data layer
(Couchbase etc) that makes the proxy stateless. Other uses-cases are
SSO implementation etc.
We are a new user to HAproxy, with multi-million QPS on HAproxy
already, and we've plans to ramp multiples of that in the coming year
or two.

>Now we are open to discussion on this subject. Let us know your feeling and if
you have any suggestion, we will be happy to talk about it.

Our goal at my company has been to not modify HAproxy core and still
add features to it without running in the same memory space as HAproxy
for safety. Of course, we use config DSL and lua as much as possible,
but it falls short in terms of writing complex business logic.
(non-http downstreams etc).
If it's not SPOE, what is a true replacement? With my limited
knowledge, not a true replacement though, maybe lua filter API and
then write these complex in-flight operations in Rust?
With the learnings from today, what would be the ideal way to replace
it, considering we had engineers to maintain it?

Slightly off-topic, SPOE has its flaws too though. One of our
use-cases is to stream (kafka) HTTP traffic information (cookies,
request data etc) in an efficient fashion and we actually did not use
SPOE as the cost to exchange information was too high. In this
particular case, we ended up streaming data via txn/req variables to
logs instead (ring buffer).

Thanks,
Abhijeet

--