On Thu, 09 Oct 2008, Teo Fonrouge wrote:

Hi Teo,

> Do you know why the header of some files is different if you download the
> file
> by following the links provided by sourceforge.net ?
> i.e. if you download the file from the following link (a tar gz file):
> http://harbour-project.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/harbour-project/trunk/harbour.tar.gz?view=tar
> It will contain the full harbour source tree of files, however, if you check
> the heading of the "ChangeLog" file against the one in the local svn copy,
> you'll see:
> The heading of the file in the local copy:
> -------------------------------
> /*
>  * $Id: ChangeLog 9588 2008-10-09 12:29:02Z tfonrouge $
>  */
> -------------------------------
> The heading of the file contained in the tarball:
> -------------------------------
> /*
>  * $Id$
>  */
> -------------------------------

Yes, it's standard behavior.

> This difference causes that it fails the creation of the hbverbld.h from
> hbpp.
> And for this reason, currently it's not possible to create packages from a
> tarball downloaded directly from the SVN at sourceforge.net
> May be we need to find an alternative method to make hbpp to obtain the info
> needed to create the hbverbld.h file.

I introduce automatic revision number storing to eliminate the
problem we had checking which version user used reporting the
problem and to verify the final binaries. Personally I'm finding
it very usable and I can easy confirm the version used by user.
F.e. see my recent message to Phil. Believe me that it helps and
safe time. Unfortunately keyword fields are not resolved when you
download tarball directly from SVN.
We can change hbpp to ignore missing keywords and always generate
hbverbld.h file. But in such case we will have binaries without
revision number.
We can also make trick and add hbverbld.h to SVN. In such case it
will be periodically updated if developer makes clean build before
commit though it will always have revision number one less then the
user commit so it may introduce more confusions then help.
I'd prefer <unknown> as revision number instead of wrong number.
If you find it useful then I can change hbpp to ignore unexpanded
keywords and replace them by sth like "<unknown>".