Never aimed to reuse or xbp files or preserve xbp format, but to recover the
concept of embedded subproject. hbmk2 IS the Harbour builder and .hb* files
are the standard format.
The target is to have a generated hbp file capable to rebuild not only the
source of the main project, but also the linked library declared as
subproject, including i.e. hbc files as subprojects.
Maybe a directive to declare that the lib isn't only to be linked, but also
to be edited and, if needed, rebuilded could do the job. hbIde could
recognize this parameter and could allow to open also the subproject sources
in the editor and after, at build time, assure that the lib declared as
subprojects are parsed by hbmk2 BEFORE the build of the main project. This
is what xMate smartly does.
If you are parallely developing a production/test program and a subset of
libraries on that you're working hard, the benefits of this approach is
unvaluable in terms of clarity, speed and safety. Try to make the same job
with other project managers, also very effective as xDevStudio, and you'll
return quickly to xMate...
After the growth of hbmk2 to powerful and mature tool, quite all the jobs of
a project manager could be obtained also with a good configuration of a
smart editor as Notepad++, but this concept is very hard to implement out of
an integrated tool.
Best regards,
Maurizio