>> continues about the mingw project. First they use .lzma
>> extension instead of well-known .7z. Fine. Then they insist
>
> they are by far not the same. .lzma to .7z is what .gz is to .zip,
>
>> on using .tar inside the .7z file, which is a solid archive
>> anyway, so .tar doesn't give any size advantages. Then they
>
> hence the need for a container, which they chose to be tar (probably
> because 7z can't, or they thought it can't store attributes they
> needed) (it probably can).

It's still an insane idea. Even .tar.gz is insane on Windows.
OpenSSL source still cannot be untarred. It caused days of
time wasting with cegcc. I could go on. Insane.

>> insist on using *nix links inside the .tar meant for
>> the Windows platform which doesn't have support for such
>> links.
>
> technically, it does, has had for quite some time.

I know it exists, but no tool can handle it. Tar for sure not.
At least I couldn't find one in 10 years.

> practically, if i had to pick between using these features of ntfs and
> the cheese greeter, i'd probably pick the cheese greeter.

Hm, what is a cheese greeter? :o

Brgds,