Alexis --

Remember that the journal file contains information on all sets and
kills, as well as before images of modified blocks.  [A quick read of
the chapter on journaling in the Administration and Operations manual as
well as Technical Bulletin 5-025 on the Mupip Set Journal command
(http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=11357&group_id=11026) may be in
order.]

The mupip journal -extract command can be used to tell you exactly which
process made what updates.

My guess is that the bulk of the information is before images - since
you are presumably not making updates at a fast rate, every time that a
block is modified during an epoch, GT.M will write a before image of
that block.  For development purposes, you can use the epoch_interval
command of mupip set -journal to be something very large, such as 3600
(once an hour) or even 86400 (once a day).

Note that a large journal file is nothing to be concerned about.  If you
want to get rid of it, backup the database using the mupip backup
command with the -newjnlfiles=noprevlink option.  Once the backup
completes, you can delete the old generation journal file, since it will
no longer be needed for recovery from a system crash.

-- Bhaskar

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 14:45, "Christian Alexis Diez OcaÃa" wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Iâm running SemiViva 0.4 over GT.M.
>
> Last week my mumps.dat file was 271M, today it is 769M !
>
> I just added a few patients and a few new persons, and I canât figure
> out the reason for such growth.
>
> Is there a way to identify what process is making the dat file larger?
> And/Or which files (within Vista) are growing up ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alexis

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged information
intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s)
ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou
dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner immediatement a
l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.