I agree wholeheartedly with Terry Wiechman's viewpoints. I had exactly the same lessons to learn when we tried to make our BAIK-system available for private practice.

Wolfgang Giere

Terry Wiechmann wrote:

I'm not familiar with all the components of VistA, however, as the project
leader of the COSTAR project back in the late 70's (project collaboration
between NIH, DEC and the Laboratory of Computer Science, MGH), I learned a
few things about private practice software systems that have not changed
over the years (they are burned into my memory :-)

Just a couple issues to make the point:

1) MGH thought the greatest asset of the system was the Medical Records
component. We told them that was great, but only part of the picture. To be
really viable, the system needed an integrated financial package (A/R, etc.
as a part of V1). Does VistA meet the requirements of a private practice,
does it have a usable financial package and all those components required of
these environments? People like Kevin are in a position to make these
assessments.

2) DEC wanted to advertise COSTAR as a "turnkey system". It didn't take a
genius to figure out that this concept required a superb installation
process (not just software) that essentially "dropped in" to make it
financially viable for DEC. Is VistA ready to drop into these environments
or will it be a long, drawn out process?

These are not criticisms of VistA, I'm just pointing out a couple lessons
learned (yes, there were more than a couple).

As a commercial venture, like so many, DEC eventually backed out because it
became obvious that it was not going to be profitable for them, MGH shrugged
it off and NIH went on to whatever...

To make VistA successful in this sector requires lots of planning and work.
If you ignore history, you are bound to repeat its mistakes...

Terry L. Wiechmann
www.esitechnology.com
978-779-0257