Once the inconvenience of 1 mile is considered for a price, 2.5 miles is a better bargain along Baltimore Avenue on North side of Univ of Md. (Super8 BestWestern and HoJo) They are all around $63 per room with no distinctions on occupancy, single or double bed.
Food should be nearby and taxi/carpools should forge a link to Greenbelt as long as there is some sort of group focus.
When I called HoJo they indicated vacancies,willingness to meet the Orbitz quoted price of $63, and even negotiate further group discount...maybe they havent heard of October football or you can cut a deal for more sober technophiles
RustyMaynard

Maury Pepper wrote:

We are trying to arrange group rates at nearby hotels, but due to a football game that weekend, rooms rates are higher than usual. We will be posting a list of hotels on our web site which will be updated momentarily. The Marriott Greenbelt on Ivy Lane is across the street from the meeting location. We have been offered a group rate of $141/night which is $52 higher than last year's rate at the same hotel. The Courtyard which is about 1 mile away has a group rate of 129/night -- still not very good. At the moment, it looks like the best rates can be obtained by direct booking on the Internet. There was some discussion on last Friday's conference call about room sharing. We could use someone willing to coordinate this.

            -maury-