Terry,
Thanks for the explanation.

Terry Wiechmann wrote:
>Sorry, a simple question to a teacher will produce this kind of response ;-)
>My apologies...

None needed for me. I thought it was very clear.

>The web application is a three-tier architecture. Direct web capability is
>not a part of EsiObjects.

This is pretty much as I thought. I have been interested in EsiObjects for quite some
time, but have not had the time and energy to get into it deeply yet, particularly as
until recently I had thought that the clients ran only on Microsoft. With all the work
you
have been putting into opening it up lately it looks like I will have to give it a
serious
look again in the relatively near future.

>EsiObjects is a layer that sits on top of the MUMPS and implements an object
>model (with MUMPS code and globals just like File Manager implements its
>model). Additionally, EsiObjects provides support for TCP based
>communications. The object model is accessed through sessions (processes)
>that are TCP based. From the EsiObjects client (development or runtime), you
>connect to the EsiObjects environment (a process on some MUMPS machine).
>EsiObjects has several ways of connecting: 1) COM Bridge for MS Applications
>2) Wireless, 3) Java Gateway and 4) CORBA (EsiORB) for enterprise wide
>applications. These connectivity packages are written as a combination of
>MUMPS and external code.
>
>The EsiEnterprise web-based application is a three-tier application. It was
>originally implemented to integrate and display data (within a web browser)
>collected from CHCS and VistA systems. On the server side, the EsiObjects
>environment (server or model side) contains VistA data wrappers (classes
>generated from the VistA DD). These wrappers access VistA globals directly
>(read-only because the application only pulls and displays data).

The EsiEnterprise server would seem to have a great deal of similarity in its overall
function and purpose with the data viewer included with M2Web (^view* routines). The
data
viewer predates the web, but for the web, it can present data in HTML tables or lists,
or
in XML, or as Javascript objects.

I am surprised to learn that the EsiObjects data wrappers for VistA are read-only. (Or
did
I misread that?) Still, I would like to know more about them and especially for
considering the possibility of accessing them via M2Web and a full web browser based
client (HTTP, HTML, Javascript, XUL, XML, CSS, etc.) for EsiObjects.

>A session
>level object façade provides the application interface to the caller
>(through the TCP layer) and accesses the wrappers to retrieve data. The
>application itself resides on the application server and is written in
>JSP/Java.

What advantages do you see in writing the server-side applications in JSP/Java
compared to
MUMPS? or PHP, Python, Perl, etc?