Daniel mentioned checking the man page for hostname.

It's too long to include everything, but here is the
-s part:

-s, --short
 Display the short host name. This is the host name
cut  at  the first dot.

so here is the part from my /etc/hosts file:
# Do not remove the following line, or various
programs
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
Linux

so here is different outputs from hostname:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] kdtop]$ hostname
Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED] kdtop]$ hostname -s
localhost