-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of T
Maynard
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 7:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] Need Help Using VistA to Track Patient
Demographics For a Clincal Study

Deepak,

   For following 50 patients for specific features that you are defining
in a study protocol, I would expect you to have many questionnaires
where you don't want omissions from protocol and only  need some free
text entry.
   Keep in mind that a fully developed EMR like VistA has an mass of
predefined variables that have accepted names but many of these may not
be the same variables that you are wanting to define or follow. These
only have value when the surrounding services gather that data every
waking hour into those variable names. To do this your lab has to input
such variable through the proper interface for the service which is not
like generic input into a spreadsheet field.
   A large part of VistA CPRS is devoted to generating the free text of
a medical encounter within a general outline and with the benefit of
tools for accessing the predefined variables and some tools for pulling
some "prescripted" text phrases and selected "values" into that
composition...this leave aside many internal communication tools that
your lab doesnt need unless your study becomes large and distributed.

   If your needs are to constrain an
interviewer/provider/researcher to a checklist or the use of many forms:

Look at EpiINFO - open source from the CDC which keeps a database in the
same format as Access and is also windows based.

  Better yet, if you also want web access for filling out forms and your
patient encounters do not occur at a central location:
  look at OIO which is based on ZOPE and postgres SQL (although I think
you can also use MySQL) http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-outcomes/

   I fear that VistA would be more than you would bargain for in your
first step from paper and a spreadsheet system. It is good to start with
examining the default EMR, if any, where most of these patients will
receive their care. No EMR may be acceptable for your study as long as
you can get your data from  tolerable questionnaires including your own
staff manually extracting from sources.
  Please post back what you discover and decide on.

Rusty Maynard

Deepak Sreedharan wrote:

To Whom it May Concern,
My name is Deepak Sreedharan and I work for a research lab at the SUNY

Downstate College of Medicine. As part of our breast studies we collect clinical data from patients. The data includes demographics [age, sex, race, residence and so forth] as well as clinical data [height, weight, history of illnesses, allergies, medications, lab values, radiologic films, etc.]. We currently keep track of this data

using mostly paper and some excel files but we would like to start storing this data in a database using a more friendly user interface.
VistA appears useful though I need someone's opinion on if it is suitable for a lab our size.
My resources include: 1.) One P4, 2.5Ghz PC with 1GB RAM and I could buy as a large a hard drive as needed.
2.) We are set up on the schools network. We have little IT support but I used to develop software so I can handle most routine technical problems on my own.
My requirements: 1.) I need to track the patient demographics and the clinical data I mentioned above for about 50 patients [hopefully more in the future].
2.) I'm hoping that VistA runs on MySQL [or another database] so that I can have direct access to the tables that store this patient data.
If VistA does not run on MySQL or some other database perhaps you know

of some open source EMR software that does. The reason I need access to the underlying database is because there is some other data [data from a medical device we are building] that I need to store on the database.
I've used the CPRS demo found on the va's website and that seems perfect for my needs. If I could set in my lab that up that would be ideal.
My questions: 1.) Does VistA seem suited for our purposes given the size of my lab, the resources I have available and the scope of our project? [I know it is typically used by hospitals not research labs]. If not could you

suggest some other open source EMR software?
2.) Does VistA run on a database like MySQL on which I can add my own tables and have direct access to the data?
3.) Do you know of anyone who could set this system up for me? I'm hoping I could just send my computer to someone and they could install

all the software required to run VistA on this machine? It would be even better if someone could walk me through the installation over the

phone or come to my lab in Brooklyn, NY? I could pay of course.
Thank you for your time and help. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Deepak Sreedharan